Saturday, August 9, 2008

Wrong Wrong Wrong

Previously, I thought my squash plants were suffering from powdery mildew. And maybe they were, but that was an after effect of being weakened by something else. That something else: the disgusting, awful, sickening Squash Vine Borer. YUCK.

Hey there he is. OH! And he brought along a friend. How nice. They sure do look fat and happy. Hmmm? What's that? It is because they have been tunneling up and down inside my plants eating as they go? Oh, no wonder they look so pleased with themselves.

Here are some sign to look for:

sawdust material

eggs? (maybe-I am inferring with this one)
plants/fruits that look sucked dry


I discovered this by reading The Backyard Gardening Blog. He has some great suggestions on how to treat them, and the entomology behind the grubs.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Yuck! I have seen the sawdust stuff! I continually learn from this blog!