Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cutting Garden

This is a raised bed cutting garden.

This image brings up two talking points:
First, which flowers are great for a cutting garden? In my garden and this bed, some really nice flowers I have used for cuttings are: cosmos, sedum, eucalyptus, zinnias, black eyed susans, echinacea, gladiolas, sunflowers, and snapdragons. I love using mint (which I always have a ton of), baby's breath, and eucalyptus as filler material in the cuttings. Do you have any good recommendations to add to this list?

Second talking point: What is the best way to maintain the area around the bed? Obviously, this is overgrown grass, so mowing and trimming would do it wonders, but what if you want to avoid grass? Is weed barrier, sand and stone the best way to go? Please share any good tips or ideas.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Last spring someone snipped off the tulips at our community garden on Carpenter Street, so we are going to make one of the plots a cutting garden in an effort to curb that. The idea of adding spring bulbs to a cutting garden plot is good I think. I also like pincushion flower, asters and russian sage as a fragrant filler plant.
We have to work to keep the grass cut at our community garden as well, so I am considering trying groundcover or creeping herbs such as thyme in the narrow areas between plots that are harder to mow. I'll keep you posted on how it works!

Amy said...

Great ideas, Melanie! Thanks for writing!